Do you know how to jump start a diesel truck? Most diesel trucks have either dual batteries or one oversize battery. It is possible to jump-start a diesel engine from the battery of any conventional fuel-powered vehicle. If your diesel-powered truck cannot start because the battery is dead, consider doing the following to jump-start it. This guide will show you how to jump start a diesel truck the easy way.
Trucks with two batteries have a similar layout. If you can charge one, the other one will be able to work. To jump-start a truck, you have to have a pair of jumper cables.
Steps On How To Jump Start A Diesel Truck
- Ensure that both vehicles are in parking or neutral and that the hand brake is enabled.
- Turn on the heater on the diesel start you are jump-starting. Doing this will prevent the electrical system from surging due to voltage variation.
- Turn off or disable all other electrical accessories like lights and wipers of the truck you are jump-starting.
- Suppose your truck has two batteries with a thicker cable on any of the batteries. Consider attaching the jumper cable on the battery with thick wires, as it is the one you will use for jump-starting. Consider properly hooking the jumper cable if your truck has a single battery.
- Connect the clamp to one f the jumper cables on the battery’s positive terminal you have disabled. Most positive terminals have (+) signs or red covers.
- Connect the other end of the jumper cable to the positive terminal of the vehicle, which will provide power.
- Connect the other end of the jumper cable to the vehicle’s negative terminal (-) that provides power.
- Doing this is a bit tricky but worth it. Take the other end of the jumper cable and connect it to the metallic part of your truck. The bracket that keeps your hood up is the most recommended part of doing this. When attaching the other part of the jumper cable on it, ensure it is not close to the battery, belts, or any moving part of your truck.
- At this point, all is set, and you can start the engine of the source vehicle.
- After turning on the engine of the source vehicle, move to your truck and turn on its engine. Let both engines run for 2 minutes or more, depending on how long your truck’s battery has been dead.
- Put off the source vehicle’s engine as your truck’s engine is running.
- Remove the jumper cable from the unpainted part of your truck.
- Remove the jumper cable from the positive terminal of your truck.
- Remove the jumper cable from the terminals of both vehicles.
- At this point, your truck is now good to go. Make sure you drive it for around 15 minutes to ensure your battery is fully charged.
Several instances can make the battery of your truck die. Shared above are steps on how to jump start a diesel truck the easy way. It would help if you had some basics of jump-starting your truck at your fingertips. If your truck’s battery keeps on failing, consider checking its condition. Regular jump-starting is an indication that your battery is dying and should be replaced as part of your truck maintenance.