Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Wheel offset

I'm curious what wheel offset you  folks are utilizing on early 1990s Minicabs? I have a pair of 23" All Trails on wheels with a 5+2 offset that suit my 93 Suzuki but not my 93 Mitsubishi. The front wheel rubs against the lower strut spring mount, and the tire rubs on the coil. I tried these on a vehicle with no lift, and it appears that some cutting of the door and fender is required to keep them from rubbing. Thank you for any suggestions.

Wheel offset is the distance from where you mount your wheel to the wheel's center. The centerline is the literal “center” of the width of your wheel. Even if the tire and wheel have enough clearance, the wrong offset can decrease vehicle stability. Generally, with new wheels, you don't want the new offset to be more than 5 millimeters different from the old offset. Altering offsets also changes track widths. Reduced offsets result in larger track widths. This can improve cornering speeds by reducing lateral load transfer from the inside tires to the outside tires. To sum up, if the new wheels are the same width, the new offset should ideally be within 5mm of the old offset in either direction. If offset must be substantially different, avoid using more positive offset at all costs. If the new wheels are wider, backspacing must be calculated.

Sorry, am not sure abut the offset but though the front wheels are very close to the strut but adding a s.s. washer on the stud sets the wheel out a bit and provides adequate clearance.