Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How do I lock/unlock the front hubs?

I have never owned a 4x4 with manual locking hubs, so it might seem like a silly question. We just came back from picking up Suzie, a 1990 Carry with 4 speed and 4WD. After a little cleaning, I discovered that the front wheels have a lock and unlock selector on the hubs.
When you select the lock position with the selector, I assume both front wheels are locked and will always rotate regardless of the road conditions on which they are operated. Isn't it true that while the wheels are unlocked, depending on the surface of the road, only one wheel will revolve? Do you think I'm wrong about this?

Is it advisable to leave the hubs unlocked unless it's absolutely necessary to drive 4x4?

How should the hubs be locked and unlocked?

Thanks for helping out!
tronictalk has reacted to this post.
tronictalk

If I understood what you mean, this is an easy process , all you need to do if you want to lock them, turn the handle in the direction indicated that shows 'lock' until it no longer moves.
To unlock them, turn the handle to the unlock position until it stops moving.
When in 2wd drive, leave them unlocked, and lock them when in 4wd.

To lock, do the following step : Turn the handle in the direction of the arrow that says 'lock' until it no longer moves to lock them.

And to unlock : Turn the handle toward unlock until it stops moving.

These locks disconnect the front wheels from the axles when you are not in four wheel drive mode. When you engage four wheel drive in the cab, then you must lock the hubs to connect the front wheels to the axle. The idea is to reduce wear and tear on the front drive train components while not in four wheel drive. Some trucks have what is called "axle-lock" which is a button that does away with the manual locking hubs.

The "lock-outs" have to be "locked" in order for your 4-wheel drive to "work". Your 4wd lever in the cab must be in 4wd, as well as having the hubs locked. If you are strictly off-road, you can just leave the hubs "locked". However, if you are driving it on say pavement, its best to keep the hubs "un-locked" to prevent wear on the components. Some trucks have what is called "axle-lock" which is a button that does away with the manual locking hubs as you have.

Also, when the hubs are "locked", that does not mean both front tires will pull no matter what. When it is "unlocked", neither tire will pull even if you have the truck shifted into "4wd".

The neat thing about manual locking hubs is that you can utilize "low range" (if equipped that is), without being in 4wd.